Thursday, September 24, 2009

In Which Katie Tries to Remember How to Ride a Bike

Yesterday I got back on my bike for the first time in 9 months. This hiatus was not by choice, of course. The reason I had not gone for a ride in so long was because Athens is not a particularly bike-friendly city nor is it particularly safe to ride in other parts of Greece. (Some of you may remember that time I got chased by gypsies near Tiryns, that one time I rented a bike in the Argolid. That's another story, though.)

Now, some communities are trying to change bike-life in Greece. There are definitely more bike rallies these days that are raising awareness (e.g. Thessaloniki). Rallies may not be common, but Athens actually had one (while I was away on an ASCSA trip), so I can verify that the Greek bike-rally in not a complete urban myth. It looks like now a company leads little cyclist trips in different parts of the country, a great idea, but its statement that "Greece is ideal for cyclists" borders on the absurd.


Anyways, I didn't take my bike to Greece with me (although I plan on doing so next time I go), and since I've gotten home from Greece I've pretty much been on the road traveling all about, sans bike. Plus my hubs had gotten so loose my bicycle was pretty un-ride-able. So yesterday I took it out to Apalachee Cycle, an awesome and super friendly shop out on the traintracks in Dacula.



Got my bike all gussied up with a tune-up and finally took it out for a spin. 

No comments: