Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Modern Art Museum in Athens

I had the morning off, so I finally made my way down to the Modern Art Museum of Athens. It's just down the street, next to the Hilton.


I'd never been to this particular museum, but was looking forward to a special exhibit on Greek painters. Luckily there was hardly anyone there, except for the ever present museum guards following me from room to room.



I am, though, a sucker for paintings with texture, and was fortunate to see several pieces that caught my eye.

Panayotis Gravvaios, Mani, 1988.
Thanasis Tsingos, Flowers, 1960.
Costas Tsoklis, Untitled, after 1978.
There was also a lot I quite hated.

Takis Katsoulidis, Zeus Xenios, 1972.

Nikolaos Othanaias, Harbor - History - Harvest, 1940.

Achilleas Droungas, Athena - Athens, 2003. 

There was also a decent amount of creepiness, which is always fun.
Dimosthenis Kokkinidis, Refugee Housing, Pireaus, 2003.

Costis (Traindafyllou), To the first oracle, Earth, 2003. This thing scared the crap out of me. It looks all innocuous at first, but then...
It actually crackles with electricity. It zaps when you're totally not expecting it, with little lightening bolts playing across the surface.

Theodoros Rallis, The Booty, 1906. And then there's this, which I am not even going to comment on.

Nikolaos Vokos, Still life with fish. Slimey fish. Yum.

No comments: